Crossover beets - A raw food side dish
I just love beets. The sweet and earthy taste goes very well with Feta cheese and red meats. The color is awesome and can improve the presentation of any plate. Here's my take on the 1970s classic raw food sallad. In my youth this side dish usually contained cabbage, carrot, most often pumpkin and sometimes raisins. My version uses beet and spices often found in asian and north african kitchens.
- 2 large beets
- 1 tblsp cumin
- 2 tsp black mustard seed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 40 ml apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 40 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 g sea salt (or to taste)
- Roast the cumin, black pepper and mustard seeds in a dry pan on medium heat until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Grind the spices in a mortar or in a spice mill.
- Peel and grate the beets using a grater or a food processor.
- Dissolve the salt in the vinegar.
- Add the oil and the spices.
- Mix with the beets.
- Let rest for 30 minutes to allow the vinegar to soften the beets a little.
Serve with a good Feta cheese, or as I did, as a side dish to sausagges and meat balls.